21 Jul 2018 - 29 Jul 2018
Join Penang Hill this July 2018 as they commemorate 230 years of the discovery of Penang Hill and rekindle memories of its glorious history, cultural heritage and its rich natural habitat with the inaugural Penang Hill Festival which will feature many interesting programmes:
- A prelude to the Penang Hill Festival, this Talk and Nature Photography Workshop to be conducted by a professional photographer covers a half-day session which offer participants the opportunity to put some of the photography tips into practice to capture photographs of unique wild life and nature on Penang Hill. Selected photos will be showcased during the Penang Hill Festival.
~ Down Memory Lane Photo Exhibition
- Showcasing a collection of old photographs of Penang Hill dating as far back as the 1800s that will truly impress you as you take the trip down memory lane to discover Penang Hill in its early days
Discovery @ The Habitat
- Join Dr Saw Leng Guan, Penang Botanic Gardens Curator and recipient of prestigious Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh medal as he starts with a talk on native and endemic plants of Penang and Penang Hill followed by a discovery tour through The Habitat’s Nature Trail and Langgur Way Canopy Walk, ending at Curtis Crest Tree Top Walk.
- Retired award-winning Architect and naturist and a true living legend of Penang Hill, Datuk Seri Lim Chong Keat and other panellists will deliver an interesting talk on the history of Penang Hill dating back to the colonial days. This will be followed by an optional walk to see some of the iconic buildings on the Hill.
- Join this specially-planned 3-km route to discover the rich heritage of Penang Hill. The guides narrate its rich history which stretches back 230 years when it was first established as a hill station retreat for senior British officers in early 1800s. Along the route, you will get the opportunity to take peeks at some of the quaint bungalows on the Hill which, though built in the 1800/1900s but with refurbishments, still retains their rustic charm and allure.
Close To Nature” Walk
- This 5km guided walk will offer you the opportunity to check out the exotic plants and flora like the Monkey Cup, Slipper Orchid. On your lucky day, you will also get the opportunity to spot some of the animals which are synonymous with the Hill, like the Dusky Leaf Monkey, Black Giant Squirrel and the Greater Racket-Tailed Drongo.
Memory Lane ~ Uplands-on-the-Hill
- A not-to-be-missed opportunity for ex-Uplanders to re-visit and re-live memories of their former school located at the former Crag Hotel on Penang Hill. It will also be a great opportunity for other former Uplands students to discover the roots of their alma mater. It will also be equally appealing to the general public as the former Crag Hotel was once used for location shooting of the TV series “Indian Summers” a few years back.
Music, Culture & Local Street Food
- The evening programme at Dataran Bukit Bendera will showcase local music and cultural performances and a selection of some of the popular street food which are synonymous with Penang.
Penang Hill, Jalan Stesen Bukit Bendera, Air Itam, 11500 Pulau Pinang