The Whiteways Arcade building was constructed in the early 1900's. The block got its name from its original occupant, the Whiteways & Laidlaw General Store at the Bishop Street end of the building, while the Netherlands-Indian Bank occupied the Church Street end of the building. During the British administration, Whiteways Building housed upmarket shops and offices.
Address: Lebuh Pantai, George Town, 10200, Penang, MALAYSIA
Thio Thiaw Siat Building is located along Beach Street in George Town with an impressive structure. It was built in 1920 for the estate of the late Cheong Fatt Tze. The buildings have a combination of Eastern & Western elements reflective of the Starits Eclectic Sense of aesthetics.
Address: 37A, Beach Street, George Town, 10300, Penang, MALAYSIA
For over four decades, master craftsman Ng Chai Tiam has carved countless traditional Chinese stone seals which are used by businessmen, traders and caligraphy artists as a signature on official documents and works of art.
Address: 85, Lebuh Carnavon, George Town, 10100, Penang, MALAYSIA
Seck Chuan Lane was a distribution centre for market produce. Many itinerant hawkers took advantage of the crowds by plying their foods here. One of the favourite foods sold is ting ting thong or rock candy, a hardened mixture of sugar, sesame seeds, and nuts loved by kids. It has to be 'Chiselled' and 'Hammered' to break it into smaller biteable pieces.
Address: Lorong Seck Chuan (Near Lebuh Chulia), George Town, 10200, Penang, MALAYSIA
Toishan Ningyang Wui Kwon (36 & 38 King Street) is a clan temple to the Toi Shan community in Penang, who originated from a Canton locality. The temple has a membership of close to 5,000 people and is around 200 years old.
Address: 38 King Street, George Town, 10200, Penang, MALAYSIA