Culture & Heritage
DIRECTORY

Here are Penang’s must-try food, quirky cafes, popular attractions and exciting parks all in a convenient list format to keep handy while travelling.


Campbell Street Market is one of the two community markets in inner George Town.
Address: Campbell Street, George Town, 10100, Penang, MALAYSIA
A cannon shot fired during the 1867. Penang riots made a large hole in this area hence the name.
Address: Lebuh Cannon, George Town, Penang, 10200, MALAYSIA
Capal Jago is a well known leather sandals manufacturer since 1958 in Kepala Batas. They make sandals in the brand of JAGO. With 50 years of experiences, they make first genuine hand-made leather sandals. Capal Jago sandals are available in three colours; maroon, brown and white.
Address: Jalan Kedah, Kepala Batas, 13200, Penang, MALAYSIA
Captain Francis Light Memorial is a monument on the grounds of the St George's Anglican Church at Farquhar Street, George Town .The Francis Light Memorial is built in similar Georgian-Palladium style as the church. It has a dome ornamented with vases. Underneath the dome is a marble plaque honouring Light.
Address: Jalan Farquhar, George Town, 10200, Penang, MALAYSIA
The Captain Francis Light Statue is a bronze statue, and it was sculpted by F.J. Wilcoxson and cast at Burton's Foundry in Thames Ditton. The statue was actually modelled after Francis Light's son, William Light. Since no picture could be found of the senior Light. The statue can be found in the Fort Cornwallis.
Address: Padang Kota Lama, George Town, 10200, Penang, MALAYSIA
Captain Francis Light's Tomb is located at the Protestant Cemetery in Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah. He is the founder of the British Settlement of Prince of Wales Island, as Penang was then named.
Address: Colonial Christian Cemetery, George Town, 10050, Penang, MALAYSIA
Captain Francis Light's Well is the well dug for the founder of the British trading post of George Town. He built a road which ran from a newly-built pier to his home in Penang. The road was named Light Street while his home was located within the compound of the present-day Convent Light Street, a girls' school started by Catholic nuns of the Holy Infant Jesus order.
Address: Light Street, George Town, 10200, Penang, MALAYSIA
The Carpenters' Guild at 70 Love Lane is one of the oldest trades association in Penang. It was established by carpenters and brick layers who were mostly Cantonese of the Sing Leng sub-dialect group and dedicated to the patron saint of the Cantonese tradesmen, Lo Pan, literally "North Duke", and was called Lo Pan Hang.
Address: 70, Love Lane, George Town, 10200, Penang, MALAYSIA
"Cats & Humans Happily Living Together" is a mural created by ASA, Artists for Stray Animals, in George Town, Penang. In this mural, people are replaced by cats carrying banners, lanterns and other religious items, and mini table bearing effigies of the deities following from behind.
Address: Lebuh Armenian, George Town, 10200, Penang, MALAYSIA
The cats walking for animal awareness mural is the 8th of 11 murals created for the 101 Lost Kittens project, to generate greater awareness of stray animals.
Address: Lebuh Chulia, George Town, 10200, Penang, MALAYSIA
The cenotaph was unveiled by the Prince of Wales on March 31, 1922, at the Esplanade seafront where some World War I battles were fought and where many sailors lost their lives. The Penang Veterans Association (PVA) erected another small monument beside the cenotaph to remember those killed in World War II, Siam-Burma Death Railway, Malayan Emergency, Indonesian Confrontation and the Reinsurgency period.
Address: Jalan Padang Kota Lama, George Town, 10200, Penang, MALAYSIA
The Beach Street Fire Station, also known as the Central Fire Station, is the main fire station for George Town. It is located at the junction of Beach Street and Chulia Street Ghaut.
Address: Lebuh Pantai, George Town, 10300, Penang, MALAYSIA
Cheah Kongsi, located at Armenian Street, Penang, is one of the oldest and most charming clan temples of George Town. The Cheah Kongsi ancestral temple of Sek Tong Seah @ Sek Tong Cheah Si Seh Tek Tong or Cheah Si Hock Haw Kong Kongsi is one of the less known but no less significant member of the Armenian Street Heritage Enclave.
Address: 8, Lebuh Armenian, George Town, 10200, Penang, MALAYSIA
Where’s my husband? The local Chinese say the rich men who lived in Muntri Street kept their mistresses here, hence the name ‘Ai Cheng Hang’ or Love Lane.
Address: Love Lane, George Town, 10200, Penang, MALAYSIA
A Grand Mansion conceived and constructed by a Grand Man, an eminent edifice which history calls home; a peerless representation of the Paradigm Chinese Courtyard House – the Cheong Fatt Tze 'Blue' Mansion has been perfectly poised for over a century on firm foundations of architectural, cultural and historic superlatives.
Address: 14 Leith Street, George Town, 10200, Penang, MALAYSIA
Chew Jetty is said to be the more known and prominent one among the eight clan jetties of Pengkalan Weld. You can trace its origin back to the earlier Chinese settlements in Penang who built these village on stilts.
Address: 59A, Chew Jetty, Weld Quay, George Town, 10300, Penang, MALAYSIA
The Children Playing Basketball wall mural is painted by local artist Louis Gan.
Address: Gat Lebuh Chulia, George Town, 10300, Penang, MALAYSIA
A Chin surname clan association of Toishan district, Guangdong, China. Building constructed in 1914. The association was established in 1876.
Address: Lebuh King, George Town, 10200, Penang, MALAYSIA
Chin Seng Leong Bicycle Shop is located on Lebuh Armenian, George Town.
Address: 84, Armenian Street, George Town, 10200, Penang, MALAYSIA
Apart from their delicious cake offerings and live jazz performances, China House has an art gallery upstairs called Art Space I & II that house paintings, photographs and more.
Address: Apart from their delicious cake offerings and live jazz performances, China House has an art gallery upstairs called Art Space I & II that house paintings, photographs and more.
The Penang Chinese Chamber of Commerce is a local organization of businesses and companies in Georgetown. Members of the Chamber of Commerce are usually international and local operating companies, such as lawyers, property developers, tourism companies, airlines, manufacturing companies, import and export businesses, banks, finance companies, legal advisors, IT and electronics manufacturers.
Address: 9th Floor, Penang Chinese Town Hall Building, 22, Jalan Masjid Kapitan Keling, George Town, 10200, Penang, MALAYSIA
The Penang Chinese first performed Chingay in 1919 during deity processions. Today, the art has envolved to become a unique multiracial performance.
Address: Gat Lebuh Prangin, George Town, 10300, Penang, MALAYSIA
Chocolate and Coffee Museum specializes in retailing branded and high-end chocolate products. The boutique occupies a double storey bungalow that was formerly the New China Hotel. As would be expected, the inside of the Chocolate & Coffee Museum is a bonanza of chocolates, grouped by theme. If you are a chocolate lover, this place can help you put on some weight and lighten some pockets.
Address: 22, Lebuh Leith, George Town, 10200, Penang, MALAYSIA
The Old Protestant Cemetery, also known as Northam Road Cemetery, is a disused Christian cemetery in George Town, Penang. After more than a century of neglect, it is now classified as a heritage site and is maintained by the Penang Heritage Trust. Captain Francis Light's grave, along with some members of the Scott family are also in the cemetery.
Address: Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah, George Town, 10500, Penang, MALAYSIA
The Immaculate Conception Church is a Roman Catholic church along Burmah Road in Pulau Tikus, George Town. It was founded by Portuguese Eurasians who came to settle in Penang to escape persecution in Phuket. They were the "latecomers" of an earlier batch of Catholic Eurasian immigrants who arrived in Penang when the island was first established by Captain Francis Light, who had founded the Church of the Assumption in town.
Address: 1, Lorong Maktab, Pulau Tikus, George Town, 10460, Penang, MALAYSIA
The Church of the Assumption was founded in 1786, when Captain Francis Light first came to Penang. It is located in Farquhar Street, George Town, within the heritage core zone of the city.
Address: Love Lane, George Town, 10200, Penang, MALAYSIA
The structure began as an attap house in 1854. By 1897 Balik Pulau had approximately 250-300 Catholic converts.
Address: Lintang Bukit Penara 3, Taman Balik Pulau, Balik Pulau, 11020, Penang, MALAYSIA
The City Hall of George Town or Dewan Bandaraya George Town is a Victorian-style building along Jalan Padang Kota Lama. It was constructed in 1903, and opened in 1906. It holds the distinction as being one of the first buildings in George Town, Penang, to be completely fitted with electric lights and fans.
Address: Jalan Padang Kota Lama, George Town, 10200, Penang, MALAYSIA
A place that will bring you back to Penang's colonial past and the lifestyle the wealthy merchants of Penang through unique antiques such that reflect a decadent way of living and reflect the vastness of space in which they used to live. To add to this, there's also a personal handwritten document by Captain Francis Light, founder of Penang and intricate art pieces from the past such as a sublime marble carving of a young girl asleep on a pillow and beautifully commissioned stained glass. Most of the exhibits once lived in large, well-known mansion around Penang.
Address: 7, Jalan D.S. Ramanathan, Waterfall Gardens, 10350, Penang, MALAYSIA
The Convent Light Street School is the oldest girl's school in Penang, founded in the mid 19th century by Holy Infant Jesus Missions. It was a chapel, an orphanage, a boarding school for the elite including royal princesses of the Thai family and today, it functions solely as a Malaysian public school for girls.
Address: 36, Light Street, George Town, 10200, Penang, MALAYSIA
Not only there were hapless cows bred and slaughtered here but you could also smell the fish hung out to dry.
Address: Lebuh Melayu / Lorong Ikan, George Town, 10300, Penang, MALAYSIA
Wisma Kastam is one of the heritage buildings along the Weld Quay waterfront of George Town. It was built at the turn of the 20th century. Before Wisma Kastam was built, the shoreline was somewhere between Beach Street and what is today Victoria Street, depending on the tide.
Address: Jabatan Kastam Diraja Malaysia, Wisma Kastam, Gat Lebuh China, George Town, 10300, Penang, MALAYSIA